Plastic surgery specialty: What you do not know about one of the most difficult and most profitable specialties
What most of us think about when seeing signs of beauty centers and pictures of tightening and puffing for women and men, or when they want to enter the field of plastic surgery, are those procedures that are limited to rhinoplasty, body sculpting, breast implants and augmentation, thanks in large part to the marketing of plastic surgery. Which many clinics and private centers have paid, but this specialization is deeper and farther than that.
When it comes to the aesthetic component of medicine, the specialty of plastic and reconstructive surgery must be addressed. Perhaps the phrase “plastic surgery is an art and a life-changing skill” contains many facts and prospects that we will explain to you in this article.
To perform plastic surgery in the most important centers in Lebanon
And at the hands of the most skilled doctors
What is the specialty of plastic and reconstructive surgery?
Plastic and reconstructive surgery is concerned with patients of all ages and types, from a child with a congenital defect, to a young adult injured in an accident, to the elderly with problems caused by aging, for reconstructive surgery is a subspecialty of plastic surgery, in the form of procedures and interventions Elective surgery for patients who want to improve their face or body, for example:
- hair plant
- face lift
- breast augmentation
And many other procedures that can help individuals gain more confidence in their physical and aesthetic appearance.
The content of this competence
- Correcting deformities of the face and body resulting from birth defects, trauma, disease or aging.
- The use of patches, flaps, and natural and artificial grafts.
- Management of complex ambulatory wounds and burns.
- Use implantable materials, such as plastic or metal.
- Repair of congenital malformations such as rabbit lip and cleft palate.
- Performing breast augmentation and body sculpting.
- Resection of soft tissue carcinomas.
- Work within medical centers specializing in beauty and care.
- Participate in scientific research, cutting-edge innovations that save lives or improve the quality of life for patients with various conditions.
- Join the teaching profession in medical colleges and teaching hospitals to help train the next generation of students and medical professionals.
- Improving body functions and giving a more natural appearance in terms of appearance.
- Improving patients’ quality of life.
- Helping patients increase their self-confidence and improve their self-esteem.
The type of patients treated by the plastic surgeon
In general, two types of patients undergo reconstructive plastic surgery, including the following:
- People with congenital malformations (including cleft lip, craniofacial or hand malformations).
- People with developmental problems with age (those caused by accident, infection, disease, or old age)
The skills and attributes required for this profession
Plastic surgery is a difficult specialty that requires a lot of surgical skills, mental judgment and personal qualities, which include:
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Accurate visual spatial awareness
- excellent vision
- Manual dexterity and mechanical proficiency in the use of devices and equipment
- Enjoy mental trial and strong technical expertise
- Good communication skills to explain complex medical terms and procedures to patients
- Management and organization skill
- Ability to lead and manage a team effectively
- Endurance and patience to spend hours of prolonged work in the operating room
- Providing emotional support and gaining patients’ trust
- Huge level of commitment
The educational and training path for plastic surgery
Like all doctors, plastic surgeons spend many years training and learning, starting with 6 years in medical school, then entering the field of specialization and training within clinical residency programs in university and educational hospitals, where the resident will have to start a training program that includes two years in the specialty of general surgery.
Then three years in the field of plastic surgery and reconstructive surgery, during the residency, he will be able to improve and professionalize his surgical techniques and methods. Most residencies in plastic surgery last at least five years and may last seven years or more. Plastic surgeons who wish to pursue a subspecialty may require at least one additional year of training within the chosen specialty, eventually obtaining the official specialty certification and internationally accredited and accredited board certification.
To study in the most important universities in Lebanon
Read also: Studying in Lebanon… The complete guide to studying and living there “High quality at cheap and competitive costs”
Subspecialties of plastic surgery
Many plastic surgeons continue their education by obtaining a one- or two-year fellowship in specialties such as:
- reconstructive surgery
- Craniofacial surgery
- hand surgery
- burn surgery
- Birth Anomalies Surgery
- Laser surgery
Financial return and professional satisfaction
Most plastic surgeons rate their professional happiness with a score of 4.1/5 according to the internationally approved scale of professional satisfaction, based on the abundant financial return and satisfactory medical results in addition to gaining good reputation and fame. The average annual salary in the United States is $299.16 .
Some negative points
Many believe that plastic surgeons live a very luxurious life, splurge on European vacations, fancy clothes and sports cars. In fact, being a plastic surgeon is a very hard job, despite the satisfactory and life-enhancing results of patients, but often encounter a lot of demanding opinions and tastes that are not dazzled or satisfied by any result, in addition to the need for an enormous amount of commitment and follow-up to keep abreast of the latest developments and developments in the field of technology The devices and treatment options are renewed daily.
Specialization career growth
The US Bureau of Statistical Studies expects the demand for plastic surgery in all its branches to grow at a high rate. It is likely that the large increase in the population, along with advances in plastic surgery techniques, will contribute to the continued demand and in return the increase in wages.
In order to become an able and skilled plastic surgeon, it will take many years of training and a constant commitment to stay abreast of research and surgical techniques to ensure the best results for patients, and although plastic surgery is one of the most difficult specialties that a doctor can pursue, but it is undoubtedly one of the most profitable specialties. .